Sunday, May 20, 2012

What is a Rhizome, and why should I put it in my mouth?


A rhizome is the edible root of some plants. We are very familiar with one of them in the states - Ginger.  Another one that is good and easy to obtain is Turmeric.

In recent studies, more and more good things are being discovered about these roots. For instance, it's thought that turmeric can help prevent diseases such as Alzheimer's and certain kinds of cancer, such as prostate and melanoma. Ginger is very well known for helping with nausea and digestion, as well as other stomach problems.

The beauty of these spices are that they contain almost no nutritional value as a simple food, so there's not really a need to worry about using too much. Besides, you don't need that much to flavor your food anyway.  They add some interesting flavor to what you're eating, and they have those "mysterious" health benefits.

Recently, my favorite way to use turmeric is to saute ground chicken and onions, then add plenty of turmeric, a dash of salt (I use the low sodium salt) and some red pepper. Mix that all up, and then beat some eggs and toss that in there. If you want, you can even add your daily oat bran to the batch. Scramble that all up and enjoy. I like mine really hot, so I add a ton of chili powder to it.

Ginger is one of the key ingredients in some Indian curries. A great way to use it is to mince it with garlic (ginger garlic paste is used heavily in Indian cooking). Put a little oil in a pan and add the garlic ginger paste. Cook it for a few minutes, but don't let it burn. Garlic gets really bitter when it burns. Get some chicken (whatever kind you like) and fry it up with a small amount of oil. When it gets nicely sauteed, add a good helping of turmeric and mix everything up. It will seem a bit dry, probably. That's ok. Add whatever vegetables you like (eggplant is good, or broccoli. Anything, really). The moisture from the veggies will help create a kind of sauce. If there still isn't enough, add a tiny bit of water. Add other spices (coriander, star anise, etc) or just use store bought curry powder (just be careful it doesn't contain a lot of salt. Some curry powders are filled with it).  Let it cook in the sauce for a few minutes. Serve and enjoy.

Like I said, recently I LOVE turmeric. So if anyone out there has other good recipes, I'd love to hear about them.

2 comments:

  1. Im in Tokyo..
    arrived from paris a day ago, ancient lady with fat bum but going thinner via DUKAN...
    nothing fancy, no turmeric recipes sorry!
    keep going with your dukan!!!!!!

    ...dont give up....

    I was 95k now 86 thanks to Dukan
    oat bran has been my best solution....
    If you like milk shakes do this..

    Dried skimmed milk is one of the Dukan permitted as-much-as-you-like foods.
    so - cheating on Dukan only a bit
    I make truly amazing delicious milk shakes all flavours with zero calorie concentrated fruit syrups (sugar free, sweetened with aspartane or similar, I think, - but I dont add any other sweetener) myself.
    I have no whipping machine, so into a large size water container (5 ltr ex-spring water bottle, any plastic bottle will do but the 5 ltr one has most space for a good SHAKE...)
    I tip;
    as much dried milk as it takes to produce a creamy taste, (dried milk is a bit tasteless but a ggod size heap of it will taste very milky)
    some strawberry, zero calorie (concentrated so only a little is necessary) syrup,
    some *OAT* bran (preferably the special DUKAN variety, as his is very tasty/oaty and *not at all* sawdusty,
    some powdered wheat germ
    and sometimes extra vitamins as a crushed vit pill etc. (add what you like for extra vitamins)
    Last some spring water,
    ideally ice ICE cold, with bits of ice.
    Use as much of each ingredient as it pleases you.
    Shake the whole lot up together until its foamy and looks like a milk shake.

    THIS IS DIVINE!
    Im a milk shake freak, but the beauty of these milk shakes is that packed with a stack of dried milk - they have a stack of essential dukan PROTEIN...
    PLUS
    the miracle working part of it is...
    The yummy oat bran swells up in your gut, so that you will feel as if you have had a twelve course meal.
    According to how much you put in.
    I use about half a cupful per shake but will use as much as much as it takes to get that necessary stuffed feeling!
    I like these shakes so much, I can live on them and if I put a small cupful of bran in the first one of the day, feel so stuffed that I dont want to eat, except MAYBE, a tiny snack, ALL DAY!

    My prob at the mo is - in TOKYO (Ueno)
    where EVER can I get OAT BRAN?!!!!
    I can get all the rest easily,
    (Im close to the Ameyoko Market)
    Ive only got one day to find it
    booooooo
    then moving on to Hakata...
    impossible.
    I soooooo miss my yummy shakes, I ADORE Japanese grub, and I will crack up and eat too much of it without the oat bran....
    WHY didnt I bring some from paris...
    dunno
    Its too late to ask you, you probably wont read this note till next year................
    and I leave the day after tomorrow..
    Ill keep the url for this page IN CASE you have the answer and post it in the next few hours...
    Anyway - take care and LOSE IT
    you CAN do it, and it feels so nice to be thinner...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, bounjour, konnichiwa! Thanks for the comment. I actually try to check this blog everyday. So I hope I caught you in time.

    First of all, thanks for the great shake idea. I hadn't thought of that, but it sounds really good. I'll definitely try it out. Oat bran is fantastic, and I really like the taste. When it comes to finding it in Japan, though, I've had no luck. I actually have my dad ship me some from the US every now and then. You can always go the mail-order route.
    OR... basically what I did the first two months of the diet was to eat WHEAT bran. I actually had no idea what either one tasted like, so I thought I was eating oatbran, and it seemed to work all the same. If you go to any big department store, in the basement floor there is usually a big food section. Ask for the "depachika". If you can find a section that sells bakery items, ask for "ko-mugi fusuma". That basically means wheat bran. I think "O-mugi fusuma" is oat bran, but no one ever has it.

    Good luck. And I hope you have a great time in Hakatta. (It's famous for Raman. You should take one day off and try that). I'm glad it's been working so well for you, and keep an eye on this blog.

    ReplyDelete